Sunday, June 15, 2008

Reflecting on a week's worth of reflections

I just got back from a 5-day office retreat in the mountains, quite close to the place where I spent my early childhood. It was a week filled with reflections and intense discussions about values, about people, about processes, about a lot of other things. It was a week filled with some wonderful conversations, some mad fun, and some weighty discussions. It was an intense week that brought forth a lot of different ideas and feelings-- some good, some bad, and most requiring much more processing before I can declare them to be either.

One thing is clear, though: I feel my life coming together. Random bits of my life from Mexico, from SUA, from Argentina, from my childhood in Himachal, and from here in Delhi are weaving themselves into each other. Links I never saw before are suddenly being formed. An email from James is feeding into a conversation with Ishani, Ashraf is echoing things Ken taught me, Mauro and Zoatecpan are becoming integral to my understanding of Pravah. My capstone is becoming part of workshops I am designing here, and the workshops I am designing here are informing the way I now read books from college. Some time back, I had written a poem about being more than patchwork, about how transplants grow into the host, and now I feel that becoming truer and truer of my life. My life is, indeed, turning out to be more than patchwork.

But I miss writing. I haven't lately had the time or space to write for myself, and I miss that. I hadn't realized how much I miss it until i was asked to share some of my poetry at the retreat on the night of my birthday. Having that space to share 2-3 of my poems with my colleagues, who are increasingly becoming friends and family, was a special and intense moment. I quickly realized just how much my poetry in particular, and my writing in general, defines me. I really need to create the time and space to do more of that. How, I have no idea, but somehow, I must.
Perhaps this blog is a good place to start. A place to record everyday stories, which are after all the most important stories. I need to find the time to write about that chatty autorickshaw driver who turned out to be a retired army officer, that funny signboard or that weird conversation in the bus. I need to celebrate the everyday parts of my life before I get overwhelmed by them. So, here's to hoping I can maintain this resolution and write at least a few times a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment