Sunday, March 9, 2008

Discovering Delhi

Is anyone still reading this thing? Well, if you are, then this is my attempt to check in and tell you that I haven't forgotten about this blog...

So. Now that I have moved back to Delhi, I am setting about discovering it in new ways. Before it gets too hot (which it will soon, too soon!), I want to explore some of its layers, niches, and intricacies. I've said it before but continue to be struck by this: in so many ways, moving home after 4 1/2 years has been like moving to a new city, albeit a familiar one.

I found an amazing little writers' group here 2 weekends ago. Heard some amazing poetry, offered and received some critique, and spent many hours listening to and laughing at other people's stories (yes, I was very quiet this first time, but things will change soon!). I thoroughly enjoyed myself and felt more grounded in Delhi for having shared an afternoon with people I don't know but can relate to so well, just like at SUA.

I'm also setting out on heritage walks, discovering places around my house that I haven't explored in a while. Hauz Khas Village-- right in the heart of South Delhi, only 10 minutes from home-- was an exciting trip. This 14th century institute of higher learning is today a large, mostly abandoned, but incredibly beautiful complex (check photo album for more). I need to find more friends who want to do these things and explore more such places in Delhi. Delhi-- the city of 7 cities-- and most Delhites (myself included, unfortunately) can't even name five of them! Well, I will soon, so when you come to visit me, I'll have a special city to show you!

More soon, as life back home unfolds further.

5 comments:

  1. Delhi absorbed other cities?

    Yes, I'm still reading your blog!

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still reading too. :)
    Y tenemos q arreglar una cita por Skype antes que pase demasiado tiempo. Sigues disfrutando tuya ciudad "nueva"!

    --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) Whatever you do, please don't go about exploring Tughlaqabad (one of the seven cities) by yourself. Take a couple of friends with you.

    Its really close to my home. A lot of people live inside tughlaqabad fort now. Most of them are refugees. Many of them are really nice people.

    But crime is pretty big inside the fort.

    love,
    - You know who [can give you such advice] :P

    PS: And I still check you blog for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I thoroughly enjoyed myself and felt more grounded in Delhi for having shared an afternoon with people I don't know but can relate to so well, just like at SUA."

    I am slightly envious -- I am still looking for inspiration like the kind I found at MHC outside of the MHC bubble. I am not complaining, because I am content and have found ways to keep myself/my thoughts 'alive'...but there is that void.

    ReplyDelete