Monday, September 1, 2008

What a two weeks since I last blogged!

First, went to Shimla for the long weekend. For my non-Indian readers, Shimla is a hill town about 8 hours from Delhi. I spent my babyhood in Shimla, and my mom has spent many years of her life there, having gone to school there as well as lived there for many years later. We both needed to get away from Delhi for a few days, and we both absolutely love the HImalayas, so a trip that side was decided upon.

I did have my doubts, though. One keeps reading about how Shimla has gotten so touristy and dirty and everything. Which it has-- parts of it. But, I found to my great delight, many of the roads in Shimla are still non-motorized and construction is prohibited there. So, if you know where to go (and fortunately not that many tourists do know!), you can come across many beautiful walks through pine forests and old, colonial buildings. Like going back in time. It was such a lovely break from work and the city and everything.

I got back to Delhi on the 18th, all charged up for work again... but only ended up being in office for two days. On Wednesday, another stitch broke in my eye, the area around got septic, and I went into surgery on Thursday. More weird stuff happened during the operation; i'll skip the gory details, but I basically landed up in bed and lots of pain for the next 5-6 days. Lots of sleep, lots of painkillers (the doctor even prescribed me wine! I don't like wine, but i must admit that i felt like i were in one of those old English novels where they do things like that and it felt rather cool... i have never been prescribed wine before!), lots of pampering. But no, not much fun. I was glad to open the eyes again a week later. Am still dealing with some discomfort, but believe the worst is over.

Illness makes me think. And dependence makes me humble. When was the last time you exclaimed with joy at eating a whole meal by yourself? When was the last time you boasted to your mother (or anyone!) that you got out of bed and brushed your teeth all by yourself? And if you even remember a time when you did, do you remember the last time someone took you seriously when you said that? Well, try a few days without opening your eyes or doing anything, really, because of the pain. Suddenly, little everyday acts become achievements, milestones on the road to recovery. Kind of cool, actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm not romanticizing dependence-- it's one of my worst nightmares!-- but it does have its upside.

Being ill is also such a wonderful excuse to catch up with friends you haven't seen in a while. I was really glad of the chance to have visitors and touch base on where our lives have gone since we all started working and got too busy for our too-long phone calls and regular coffee dates. One friend in particular, whom I have known since I was seven, suddenly became so much closer and more comfortable to talk to because of the way he was there when i most needed him to be. I guess that's the other upside-- after each such episode, I come out with a clearer and deeper sense of gratitude and love for all the amazing people I call my friends.

Oh well, despite those upsides, i'm glad the last two weeks are over now. Back at work from today, and thinking how I can NOT afford to fall sick again, at least till November. There's just too much to be done, and i don't have time to waste in bed anymore. Universe, are you listening?

1 comment:

  1. Recovery milestones. I don't have many that are as serious, maybe a broken wrist. But a mini version happens whenever you get seriously ill with the flu. You recover with a strong sense of gratitude for health. Shimla sounds fascinating.

    So the working life keeps you occupied, eh? Ain't it the truth.

    Hang in there!

    j

    ReplyDelete