Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Blog

How time flies! I first posted here on December 16 2007, and i can't believe it's been one year and one week since then. Then again, when i read those entries, it feels like it was written in another lifetime...

I found one post there, which i wrote on the airplane home from California, listing things I thought i would miss about SUA life. Now, i feel like revisiting that a year later. Here's the original list with comments:

The neighborhood cup-- YES! I miss that place!
Walking to town center- Well, not the walk but the company (Masako, call me!)
dark chocolate- nah, you get decent dark chocolate in India now!
being mistaken for mexican- YES
running hot water 24/ 7- Surprisingly, no. I guess I re-accustomed pretty fast to life here.
brewed coffee- Nope, manage that at home now
being able to eat sushi and pancakes in the same meal-- YES! And Sushi in general. And pancakes in general.
California sunrises and sunsets- YES!
Midnight conversations- Oh, so much!
Signboards in Spanish- Not really. Maybe when i think about it, but not every day.
feeling safe walking alone at night- YES. It;s a good thing I have nowhere to go in the evenings these days, because i have no idea how i would get there. This is a big one.
Being able to laugh at my professors- Oh, I still manage that long distance! yay facebook!
Peace Lake- I miss Peace Lake!
moments of cultural-outsiderness- No, because after all that globetrotting i am still as much of a cultural outsider here in Delhi as I was there in other countries.
hugs- yeah, sometimes... because hugging isn't nearly common enough in india and because most of my friends are no longer within huggable distance.
all the people who come to the writing center for a "candy fix"- Hehe, only when i think about it!
watching people get high on too much work- yeah. At office, overworked people seem to get stressed and cranky. But I do miss the noise and madness of the cafeteria right around exam time...
clean public restrooms- ALWAYS!

Huh, interesting... I wasn't so far off the mark, was I? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment