Thursday, January 17, 2008

So. I am here.

The journey to Mongolia was interesting, especially the 15-hour layover at Moscow. I don't know what I was thinking leaving the airport without a map or knowing a word of Russian-- I guess I had figured there would be some kind of tourist information desk either at the airport or at least at Red Square. WRONG. So, there I was outside the transit area at the airport, determined to get into the city but equally determined not to pay 1500 roubles to take a taxi to the city. Finally, I managed to get someone to tell me which bus goes to downtown Moscow (the airport is a bit outside the city)-- fortunately, the Russians use the same numerals despite the different script. Then, in what was admittedly rather scary, I took this bus to wherever it would take me, figuring I would get to Red Square from there. I had to change a bus, then a train, then walk eight blocks, but I did make it. best of all, I made it by asking for directions from nice old Russian women who did not speak a word of English; trust me, until you have received long, complicated directions from someone who does not speak your language and can only gesticulate wildly, you havent truly travelled! But I was proud of myself: I managed to take public transport to get to Red Square and back in 100 roubles instead of the 3000 I would have paid as taxi fare, and I did it without any major incident (okay, so i slipped and scraped my knee once, but you try chasing hurried old Russian women on icy streets because they are your only way of getting to your destination, and we'll see if you dont fall a couple of times too! :P).

Then, Mongolia. I was met at the airport by the high school principal, one English teacher and one Japanese teacher (who, it turns out, is my roommate). The moment I stepped out of the airport with them, i felt icicles form in my nostrils. I'm not kidding-- every time I step out into this -35 degree weather, everything inside my nose simply freezes; it's a sensation like none I have ever experienced! My roommate, Miho, and I share a lovely little studio apartment; there is no central heating, but we do have two radiators, so although it isnt warm and toasty, one's okay inside with a couple of sweaters and a hat. I'm not complaining; it could be SO much worse (we even have running hot water most of the time!). They did offer me my own room if Miho and I couldnt live together, but we both chose to share... I miss my private space, but I am glad to have an English-speaking person around.

Today was my first day of classes. Can't say much yet because this was only introductions, tomorrow will be the same, and next week, all the students have a holiday while the teachers prepare new lesson plans. Classes start in earnest after that. I have to admit to being a bit uncomfortable in this school; the high school prides itself on being "Japanese-style", which they take to mean high educational and achievement standards, but which also translates as too-strict hierarchies and sometimes ridiculous formalities as far as I am concerned. I'm struggling to come to terms with the way the students are ranked and segregated based on their achievement, the weird "thank you teacher, see you" that the students somehow manage to chant in perfect unison every time i leave the room, and the "teachers dont wear jeans" kind of attitudes amongst the staff. In some ways, it reminds me of high school n India, and now i wonder I got through that so well; in other ways, it is an even stricter and more rigid version of many of the things I even then thought ridiculous. Fortunately, as a foreign teacher, I have a little more freedom to design my own classes (for example, i do not need to follow the textboks they use), but only after preparing my lesson plans and having them approved will I really know how this term is going to turn out.

Well, that's all for now. I am using the computer in the principal's office since it is free right now, but I need to find a more regular and more reliable means of staying connected. Kep emailing me-- Mongolia is isolating, and I want my cheerleaders around! ;)

7 comments:

  1. You made it! I'm so happy to see your fresh post!

    My friend from Australia is visiting right now. Will send you a longer email this weekend.

    Missing you as usual,

    W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adi-Muffin, You truly rock!
    Miss you
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear from you!!! I am glad you made it fine!! Moscow sounds cool. (and "cold" as well) :P

    So life in Mongolia has started well. :)
    Icicles in my nose...can't even imagine those.
    Glad to know Miho speaks English! That will be some company.

    I hear you about Japanese heirarchy. It is crazy, much more severe than India. At least, Indians make a lot of "noise."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got your email. Thanks. I'd love to be able to discuss the cultural discursive learning dynamics too. A politics of teaching will reveal itself to you more deeply now, maybe. But maybe you're already there: you in particular embraced the politics of teaching and learning at Soka. I can feel the beauty and the challenge of your situation. It's amazing and you are fully alive. How cool. If you ever have a Freire dialogical project in mind, remember to pitch it to the admin as a way to accomplish the standards, a pathway that they have simply not tried (though I don't really know what they've tried, obviously). Nothing creates motivation quite like identification with the task at hand. Remeber the kids with cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that you're finally in Mongolia!! I am so excited. You sound like you are having amazing adventures already :) (Wish I were there when u were walkin' about in Russia!) Do you have any of those face mask things to wear so that your nostrils aren't freezin up? I'm worried about your nostrils, girl. NYC is a tropical island compared to where you're at! (And to think I was cryin like a baby about the weather here..) By the way, take care of that little cold you have, Adi. I'm glad you have an English speaking roommate. As for me, I'll be teaching my first class on wednesday. Still working on creating a syllabus... All the best with your teaching, Adi! The whole Japanese-style school thing is kinda freaky, but I'm sure you'll work your creative magic there as well :) Will write again. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kumi, WHY are you "workers unite" and how about leaving your name on messages? It took me a while to figure out who this was from! Oh, but it is good to hear from you! Good luck with your classes too... love you!

    ReplyDelete