Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Aditi meets Aditi

Yesterday, I got a phone call from someone I haven't spoken to in 16 years. My "best friend" when I moved to Delhi in 1992, who moved to Malaysia (and later New Zealand) in 1993 and whom i haven't seen since, got in touch with me over facebook last year. We laughed and exchanged emails about how we had decided to be friends because we both have the same name and (she remembered this part) we used to carry the same water bottle. Now, she's in Delhi for a few days, and I spoke to her yesterday... a brief chat, her beautiful New Zealand accent reminding me of Justine, trying to figure out when and how to meet before she leaves India again. It's hard to coordinate our schedules, but I am determined to make this work somehow... 16 years, who knows how long it'll be before we get this chance again? Wow, I think a 16 year gap would be huge in any case, but when you're only 23, it's that much huger! What can the 7 year olds who parted have in common with the 23 year olds who are going to meet? I don't know, but enough for us both to remember each other and want to meet! This should be super-interesting!

BTW, is anyone still reading this thing? I know James and Wendy have stayed faithful to my blog, and I suddenly have a new reader in Nehan, but anyone else? If you are, leave a comment once in a while so this doesn't feel simply like a narcissistic exercise! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I still check in every once in a while... ;) --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, this is a comment from an Aditi to Aditi:)...I was just trying to find some interesting scoop on our name and it lead me here...
    Nice title:D...and you sound like a dreamer- I think you might find it interesting that I feel the same way about imagination as does Robert Fulghum in that quote on the side there...Aditi"s" are known to be the creative, dreamer types and I think people with that first name share some of those qualities...so, kuddos to being an Aditi!:p

    ReplyDelete