Saturday, July 12, 2008

the global versus the local

2 years since Buenos Aires, 1 year since Mexico, 6 months since SUA, 2 1/2 months at Pravah... on July 12, 2008, WHO AM I?

The last 2 weeks were over the top, too crazy, but today I feel more in control. Going to work on a weekend actually helped a lot... I got as much done in my 4 hours alone in office today as I do in the whole of an average day. Also helped quiet the din in my head a little, I think. July is still going to be very hectic, but I am now more confident I can pull this off somehow.

Still, the more I sink my roots into Delhi again, the more lost I feel. I keep going back to the sense that my globe-trotting was all one wonderful, intense, crazy dream. Argentina, especially, has started feeling so far away... perhaps because I haven't really talked to anyone from there in a while. No, wait, I just talked to Chris this morning and Sarah a few days ago. Yeah, but those are my American friends i got to know in Argentina; they aren't themselves Argentine (Sofi and Daniel, where are you?). And I have been too removed from everything Argentine for too long. Mexico too, to some extent, feels very far away, but I end up talking about that experience so much with people that it feels more real. And college... very strange sense there too. I'm constantly aware, literally everyday I think about it, just how much SUA has shaped me, and yet, I feel as if it all happened in another lifetime. How to get in touch with this reality back in Delhi without losing touch with all those other realities so dear to me?

Therein lies the dilemma of "global citizenship"! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment