Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wildlife in my balcony!

Well, hello again! Most of you have seen photos of all the birds and squirrels that hang out in the beautiful tree outside my bedroom window, right? A couple of days ago, there was even a peahen on the roof of the house opposite us, but today took the cake.

My dog loves barking at birds that come too close to us (sit on our balcony railing for instance)... makes her feel strong and important, I guess, protecting us from all those crows and pigeons and sparrows. So when I gave her her milk in the balcony today and heard her barking soon after, i didn't think much of it at first. But she wouldn't stop, and I worried she would wake my mother up, so I tried calling her into the room... nothing doing, she wouldn't hear of it, just kept looking up and barking. At one point i realized she was literally trembling, with anger of fear, I'm not sure, but simply wouldn't come back into the house.

Now, the air conditioner in my room juts out over the balcony door, creating a maybe 2 foot nook between itself and the roof. Birds will often try to build their nests there, and since that was the general direction in which Sooty was looking as she barked, I decided to g out and watch the birdies. So I step out into the balcony, trying to pacify my dog, look up at the back of the AC, and find myself face to face, less than 3 feet away, from a huge monkey!

We both started, the monkey and I. I took an instinctive step backwards, and the monkey jumped into the tree. My mom was up by now, so I pulled her into my room to show her what my dog (who STILL wouldn't come in) was barking at. A few minutes later, when the monkey seemed safely nestled in the tree, i made another attempt to go into the balcony and get my dog in... it immediately got up and rushed towards me on the branch closest to the balcony; I rushed back into my room and stayed there until it disappeared, which it miraculously did minutes later. Where it went, I am not sure, but my dog isnt barking anymore (and actually looked around for it rather desperately, trying to peep over the balcony railings, staring up at the AC and the roof, almost whining in her disbelief that the fun was over so soon)...

Phew, what a start to a Sunday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment